Tuesday, May 13, 2014

It twas' all just a dream

To be a high schooler and have the courage to stand upon a stage before your peers and families is amazing.  I could not imagine myself doing this. During the time that I spent in high school the closest that I got to the stage was doing makeup for the actors and actress.  Hard work folks.  I learned that with the stage lighting you basically have to make everyone look like a drag queen.

Back towards the end of March we had the chance to attend our high school's play William Shakespeare's "A Midsummers Night Dream."


Being out of school for so long I did not recall what this was about. And mention Shakespeare and you know boring is running thru people's minds. Here is the very short synopsis and I can say it was rather refreshing that it was almost a romantic comedy.

 "It portrays the events surrounding the marriage of the Duke of Athens, Theseus, and Hippolyta. These include the adventures of four young Athenian lovers and a group of six amateur actors, who are controlled and manipulated by the fairies who inhabit the forest in which most of the play is set."

It was kind of crazy you had naughty little fairies, love sick crazy maidens, and a donkey.  Each one of the kids did a stellar job at there part. 


Of course I am partial to Forest's girlfriend, K.  K played Helena, a young woman. Her favorite line in the play, "No, no, I am as ugly as a bear" (II.ii.100). At times there were parts that I was wondering how he felt as she swooned over another boy on stage.  Yes it is a play, but maybe a twinge of jealousy.


As we left, think she was pretty surprised to see that we showed up. Look was priceless. I forget that being on stage with the lights you cannot see the audience.

A glorious evening of Shakespeare presented by some wonderful high school students.  Bravo!



No comments:

Post a Comment