Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Mighty Mississippi

On the road again.  It felt so good to be back on the road again.   Our roadtrip from the weekend was to LaCrosse to drop the Forest at his athletic training camp and then to a campground for the rest of the family.



Now I have to say that I did get quite a bit of slack for wanting to take my teen with a license to  camp.  But everyone can just pound sand...my mommie took me to my first camp and I wanted another excuse for a camping trip, hello.  Plus one can not overlook the little "issue" we had at check in of the camp.  The little issue was the fact that they had my son aka a boy bunking with a girl.  Oh mama don't think so.  Hello, I marked male on the application form.  Yes, his real name is non-gender specific.   What that meant for him was he ended up with a room all to his self for the weekend.  Good, but bad.

So many bunks, so few people.  Turns out there were only 5 boys at camp and even without bunking with any of them; they all hung out.  Plus he had the chance to run with an ultra runner, aka a person who runs races that are like 50plus miles long (crazy), that is a college senior.  Great opportunity for him.   The camp also gave him a great perspective of what it will be like in the field that he wants to go into and they actually learned a ton.  And of course, getting more information on the athletic training program at LaCrosse was fantastic.
 
Then for us it was off to Goose Island for the weekend.  I am so happy that I called about my reservation.  The super sweet lady changed the reservation to get me a water front spot. Needless to say we could not have been happier.
 

Perfection.
 
Plus we stayed right next door to spongebob's house.  Sadly due to the water level going down he was having a few issues.

 
 And then there was one of my awesome purchases that I got to try out....


The new camping hammock....and with a little bit of velcro I think I could probably sleep in it all coffin like.


 
Just like home....
 


 of course the weiner has to be right by his mommie.  Spoiled little prince.
 
Saturday was time for a kayaking adventure on the backwaters of the Mississippi.  Straight across from our campsite was a series of sand bars to explore.
 


Now paddling across this water was quite a bit different then what we were used too.  The rivers/lakes we paddled before had little to no flow.   Backwaters of the Mississippi very different.  You could tell when you were going upstream.  The hubbie even said that he could see us being pushed by the current.  We made it though.



It was awesome since you could basically walk from sand bar to sand bar in the one area.  The deepest spot was up to our knees.


Then it was back to the kayaks to explore another island.



We even found a fire pit, which of course increased our curiousity even more.  Now we need to find out if you can camp out on the island...because that would be awesome.



Another part of our adventure was clamming.  We saw some people picking up clams earlier,so we thought we would go nose around.   Here is one that was open on the beach.  Sadly we found out once they are opened, they are dead.  RIP Mr. Clam.



Then we found a bunch of clams kind of laying out on the sand.  They were closed.  We decided to put them back into the water.  Now what I discovered is that these little guys will spit water at you when picked up.  It is meant to freak you out so you drop them and put them back in the water.  Well guess what...it works.



Yep we took every one of those and put them back under water to live out their days.  See look now they are all happy as a clam...dorky, I know.



After our kayaking adventure, we kind of met our neighbors.  Ok let's get real, there was this little, kind of talkative boy. Quite a little smartass the kid was too.  His father and him were up fishing together.  His father was cleaning their fish, so the little boy was hanging with us.   Here is a picture of their fish...


Those would be 20-24lb catfish.  I was absolutely amazed.  Suddenly I wanted to take up fishing and buy a little fishing boat.   We should seriously be restricted to our exposure to different water activities.  As of today though we do not own a new little fishing boat nor fishing poles.  For hanging out with the kid all afternoon his dad invited us out swimming.  Without any regard that we don't really know these people off we went.  Yes, my hubbie worries.  He was back with our little pups.



Of course we survived and this was the beautiful sunset we were graced with Saturday.


 
Sunday it was time to say goodbye to Goose Island



Then off to grab a Forest.....



Little brat just wouldn't let me pick him up.  Trying to attempt a remake of a picture that my mommie took of him and me in this spot like 13 years ago. Didn't quite work out though. This was actually after we grabbed him from the college.  We went up to Grandads Bluff.




You can see for miles up there.  All the way over to Minnesota.


The we had a little Taco John's mini picnic prior to venturing homeward. 



For such a short little get away it was glorious.   We loved Goose Island and want to put it on the go back to list.  This time there will be a party, I mean picnic on the sandbar.


My Bullet and I.  Love this picture.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment