Monday, August 25, 2014

Marathon Monday

Here it is is another Monday upon us, a new/fresh week to begin and time to reflect on the last week of my marathon training.   No fun pictures to share this week, no rabbits to chase.  I know you are probably like...again.  This week though I was not off wandering in the forest.  This week I was stuck on a treadmill due to mother nature.  Mother nature deemed that it needed to be hot and very humid forcing me indoors.

Run length this weekend was 18 miles.  Yep, 18 miles via a treadmill. The only interesting part of treadmill running is the fact that the treadmills that I run on only allow you to set the time at 60 minutes.  So since I am clearly not a Kenyan, I got a little walk break every sixty minutes. 

It seriously is a mental game to deal with running that long on a treadmill.  What does one do with their three hours on a treadmill...well: 
  • Watch the news while crossing your fingers that the sun will be shining and you will be able to boat
  • Finish watching a movie you started months ago...Zero Dark Thirty
  • Watch another movie, I highly recommend action/war movies.
  • Listen to one of your playlists (highly recommned Rock My Run for variety) then be happy yet disappointed that you didn't get to finish the awesome playlist.

My movie of choice this week was "The Lone Survivor".  It was good.  At no point was I ever having a moment of oh my goodness I am bored.  It made those 2 hours go fairly quickly.  Understand that this movie is based upon a true story.  I watch these type of movies while I run as a gentle reminder that I need to suck it up it could be worse.  I am not running away from being shot at plus the quick moving pace of the movies is fantastic. 

I shall leave you with a  few inspirational statements from the movie to digest and tuck a way for the moment when you need a push.
  • Marcus Luttrell: [narrating] There's a storm inside of us. I've heard many team guys speak of this. A burning. A river. A drive. An unrelenting desire to push yourself harder and further than anyone could think possible. Pushing ourselves into those cold, dark corners, where the bad things live. Where the bad things fight. We wanted that fight at the highest volume. A loud fight. The loudest, coldest, darkest, most unpleasant of the unpleasant fights.
  • Shane Patton: Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards.

No comments:

Post a Comment