Monday, February 3, 2014

January Spending Freeze

During some crazy moment coming off of Christmas I decided to join this whole spending freeze link up thing.   Good idea possibly, tough definetly.

Life According to Steph

 
Let's just get down to business and see what are infractions are shall we...

Lindt Chocolates
Spent $9
Notes - This one is totally going on my little brother.  If he would not have gone in that store, I would not have had to go find him there.


Bath and Body Works
Spent $35
Notes - Whose idea was it to go to the outlet mall during this month.  Why did I have to walk into a 2 for 1 sale.


Old Navy
Spent $3
Notes - Well I probably could have lived without one of the items that I purchased.  Thankfully this was only $3 and will be removed from the personal item budget.


Shopko
Spent $37
Notes - Completely blaming this on the fact we are trying to get healthy and my old scale of many years decided it was time to end its life.  We will just avoid the conversation in which I have to fess up wandering in the cosmetics section for some very unnessecary lipgloss.  At least it was on sale.


Redbox
Spent $2
Notes - Fast and Furious 6 ....curse you VinDiesel, Paul Walker and crew.

Walmart
Spent $22
Notes - Due to the getting healthy again $10 on a food scale that came out of the house supply budget.  Will be fixing this little problem by creating a new sub category called household health.  Cheating the system people.   $1 Beef Jerky since I did a piss poor job planning my food intake. $4 instyle magazine. No control really need to subscribe to this. $7 clipboards to encourage my crazy organizational ease of doing household business.

Walgreens
Spent $5
Notes - Forgot to put this in the budget (my bad) need to get new pictures up on the wall from last year.  Would like to actually have this accomplsihed in a timely fashion this year.

Grocery Overage
Spent $50
Notes - Parts of this contribution is that we are eating healthier this month and purchasing our lunches at the grocery store versus at a gas station or work.

Sephora
Spent $42
Notes - One of the items I would normally purchase.  Just did not expect it to run out this month. So it was uplanned right along with the new lip treatment I needed.


Grocery Overage
Spent $85

Night Out at the Mineshaft
Spent $20
Notes - Nonplanned event but worth every  penny. see....

 
Will I do this again.  Yes.  It really did make me put some things in check.  Of course right now I am on vacation, so that whole budgeting crap is out the window.  Here is to eating out and spending money on silly things.
 

6 comments:

  1. It really does put you in check, just looking at where every penny goes in a month's time! It took us awhile to figure out what we felt was 'normal' to spend on groceries once we stopped eating out so much, because you buy lots more food! You're still saving in the end, of course- just took us a few months to figure out what those budgets should be. Thanks for linking up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does make you think about what you're spending on, which is always awesome.

    Thanks for linking up!

    I'm planning another freeze in April if you'd like to do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am cracking up that your first thing bought was chocolate. Smart girl. The spending freezes are hard, but you're right, it really puts thing into perspective. My Dunkin Donuts adds up so quick!

    Thank you so much for linking up with SMD, Erin, PK and myself! We plan on doing another one in April!
    MJ- www.luckfupus.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did really well! You definitely should have made your brother buy the chocolates though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sephora is my weakness! I would be super proud to walk out of there for only 40 bucks! I ran out of something and needed to repurchase during my spending freeze, and amazingly I had the restraint to ONLY order that one thing. It was a sad day, but at least the 50 million freebies that came with my order helped!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you still had a successful month! Eating healthier always make the grocery bill grow but it's better for your body and budget when you're not spending more at premade places!

    ReplyDelete