Monday, June 29, 2015

Ghosts of Weekend Pasts - A whole bunch of water time

By now everyone around here should know that the majority of our summer weekends are spent on the water and of course, this weekend was no different.

Friday evening started with an upgrade to my cell phone.  Honestly, I am not very happy about it.  I loved my old phone and some of the features.  So basically I will be whining and pissing and moaning until I get used to my new phone.  Also to the salesman who tries to sell me on there latest and greatest idea where I can just tack the new phone onto my monthly bill via installments...GFY, dude.  I am way to detail ($) oriented to not over analyze your glorious plans prior to walking in your door and this cheap bitch is not paying out an additional $500 over a two year period for your "great new idea".   Good for you...bad for me.  Thank goodness we drowned the sorrows of sitting in the cell store with some tequila.

Saturday morning was Paddle the Marsh.  This is an annual event put on by Friends of the Horicon marsh.  Basically you put in at a place we call Greenhead and paddle 6.5 miles down the river thru the marsh (to grandmother's house we go) to one mile.  They have speakers along the way, great volunteers, and even a shuttle service. I was very thankful it was not as windy as it was the last time that I went. Here are some snapshots from our morning:

 This would be the king aka Moo, who got to cruise the river in comfort in his recliner

 One of the first stop was learning about the different kind of song birds that call the marsh home.



Here the speakers are on the air boat that they bring out for this event.  At this stop they are always nice enough to fill up water bottles.
 
Below is one of the bald eagle's nest which is located in the marsh area.  There are three babies in this nest.  We were lucky enough to see two of the eagles hanging out.

My kayaking buddy, Cooper, and I.  A little tip for kayaking with little ones...be prepared to counter steer their playing in the water, offset their wiggles, and do not give them a net to play with (it creates more drag). Next year we may have to get him his own to paddle.

 
We were attempting to pick us some lily pads.

 
Since we survived our morning paddle and no one fell in, it was time to hit the water in a little more leisurely style aka Swagtime.  Today you will be saved from numerous sandbar pictures.  I can say though there were quit a few tipsy folks out there.
 
Of course the most glorious moment of my sandbar time was taking my new turtle out.
 
 
Oh he looks so pissed off.  It was the best $9 I spent though.  The thing even holds me up so I can just lay around and soak up the sun.

 
Now I just need my floating beverage holder.
 
No boating time would be complete without a trip to Skalliwags aka the tiki bar.  It just happened to be pirate day.  Everyone was treated to some good ole pirate music and food.  Plus they had ax throwing....
 
 
Come to find out I am pretty good at throwing axes, which makes the hubbie slightly nervous.

 
And there was face painting...technically you were suppose to get your face painted like a pirate but....

 
Spiderman is just as awesome.  After all of that we went home had some dinner and then I took the littles to park to burn off some energy before we had to go to bed.

 
And Uncle Jamie may have just told us we needed to settle down before bed. 
 
Sunday found us getting some donuts for breakfast, cleaning cars, grocery shopping, family dinner and all the other normal stuff that goes down in the sack on a Sunday.
 
Now, we begin a new week looking ahead and anxiously awaiting our next beautiful summer weekend.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment