Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Kitchen Chaosis

Welcome to the hell I call my kitchen cabinets.  You know when you first move into a place, you think you have it all figured out and everything works just fine and dandy.  Then a few years pass...and you discover things are just not in the right spot.  Like why when I am baking I have to get a stool to reach the items that I need...aside from being short people...because when it came to the everyday organization of things it was piss poor.
 
So decided to play along with a Bowl Full Of Lemons organization challenge to see what I could accomplished.   One thing though with this challenge...I am not following it to a "T".  We have some construction going on in our basement, which put a wrench in a few of the weeks....and next is I have a full time job, no assistant, nor a wealth of money to go buy the perfect organizing tools...So therefore, I am going to progress as I can.
 
And now let's get on with it....since I mentioned the baking cabinet, let's start with that one.  Oh and our kitchen is pretty small too.  And yes, I was thanking my lucky stars for that when that kitchen organize it week happened.
 
An awful mess.

 
What I did was move the items that are not used on the regular...aka cookbooks (hello people we have pinterest nowadays), cute ice cream cups, easter egg decorating things and cookie cutter items to the top aka I need a step stool shelf.
 
Then so I did not have a whole bunch of bags laying around of chocolate chips, powdered sugar, nuts.  I bought some containers to place them in.  Since that picture was taken, some of the jars were swapped out with mason jars.  They took up less space and fit 1 bag of chips better.  Plus labeled everything, so my dear Forest does not confuse the powdered sugar and flour for the fifth time. 
Bottom shelf, well, that is basic Tupperware terror and a few coffee items.  Really is there a good way to organize Tupperware?  Most I do is stack so they fit and then use a basket to hold the lids.
 
Next up the snack cabinet.   I am sure that you think it doesn't look too bad.  The thing here was that I had a bunch of items that I did not use on the regular in here, aside from snacks.

 
Here is the after....basically one of the baskets is for the littles snacks and the other is to wrangle the bags of chips.  The lower shelf was always home to the bowls...the big change I made was pulling out random special type occasion dishes and putting the slow cookers which get way more usage in there. 

 
Speaking of pulling out, here is the chaotic mess from the cabinet that housed the pots and pans.  Oh and there were some of those awkward use only once a year items from the other cabinet here.
 
 
 
Basically I said goodbye to some unneeded bowls that were taking up too much space in the cabinet.  Our cabinets are fairly deep so some items are placed in what is almost a second row.  One day I shall have some cool slide out things.

 
 
And then there were the dish towels. Nasically I just sorted out the ones that looked like it was time to put them to the grave.  Then decided to donate some of the holiday type ones that I just no longer used.


 
Really that is as good as it gets when it comes to the towel drawer.  I did determine that I am definitely in need of some new washcloths.
 
And there you have our little kitchen reorganization/clean out project.  Seriously so glad that I took the time to do this.  It feels fantastic.  Next up will be the 4th bedroom....on the blog so it must be now.  Please go forth, embrace your inner OCD and get some shit cleaned up, this girl needs to know she is not alone.
 

Linking up with:

Organize 12x30 Challenge

2 comments:

  1. Great job! I'm sure it functions much better for you. I tweak my kitchen every few months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did an awesome job organizing your kitchen! Not too long ago I went through our kitchen and wound up donating over ten dish towels! I was amazed with how many we had started hoarding. Our cupboards definitely need to be gone through again.

    ReplyDelete