Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Marathon Monday/Weekend Recap

Hello and Welcome to the last installment of Marathon  Monday...well until the next one that is and I may still give you one more recovery recap.  After a week of prerace jitters, the day finally arrived.  Everyone was very thankful of this since all I seriously did last week was worry about the impeding marathon. 

Getting ready for marathon day actually started on Thursday dinner and continued of course until Sunday morning at the race line.  During this period, I work on my eating and making sure I am getting enough calories, carbs and fluids.  Then there is the packing to make sure the marathon morning goes easily.

Saturday night I slept surprisingly well.  Then we spent the prerace sitting in the hallway of the high school.  People watching and listening to the announcements.  I seriously felt like a complete creeper checking out what everyone was wearing.  At that point I still was not sure that I had dressed correctly for the four plus hours on a course while the sun is coming up.  The announcer who was giving us preliminary information was hilarious especially when it came to talking about the bathrooms versus the port-o-potties.  Guess I was an adventurous one in his eyes since I waited and used the port-o-potties.

Pre-Race one of the most popular places - the Port-o-Pottie line up

Now in the line up they had signs, so you could stage yourself according to where you wanted to finish.  This was the last one...and it was awesome.

This is the picture I took of everyone lining up while I was waiting.
 I placed myself with the 4 1/2 hour pacer. Pacers are amazing.  She kept us going, told us what the plan was, and really cared that we had a great marathoning experience. I can not send her enough praises. Plus she let us walk thru the water stops.  Those breaks mean a lot. Which is where I was able to snap this picture.
 One of the things that I do regret is not taking more pictures along the way.  The people that we saw on the side of the roads were fantastic.  They clapped, cheered, and held some great signs up.   Some examples:  "Remember you paid for this" Hurry before the beer is gone" "Smile you are not wearing any underwear".  The kids you passed would come up and give you high fives like you were a rockstar.  And let's not forget the people who actually played instruments in their front yards for us.  There was a guy playing the accordion and another couple guys playing instruments.
 
One hilarious moment during the race was when one person, yells squirrel.  Which basically means watch out there is a squirrel in the road.  One of the guys picks it up and tosses it to the side.  Everyone in the group was just like...oohhh.  Then he goes, hey it was just a little greasy and no one will step on it now.
 
Sadly I lost my pace group at mile 16.5.  My tendon was vibrating like a snapped rubber band and I decided I better switch to a run/walk. The next two miles were tough.  Then a quick bathroom break at mile 20 and I was feeling a bit better.  Plus after mile 20 there were some great people who were giving us grapes, gummie bears, and pretzels over the next few miles.   The homes in mile 20-24 were spectacular too.  Loved looking at all of them as I ran past.  One actually caused me to stop in my tracks...why? There was moat around it, almost like a castle.  Gorgeous beautiful million dollar homes.
 
Miles 24-25.5 brought glorious views of the lake and some horrific lake breezes.  There was what looked like a pirate ship out on the lake and a beautiful chapel sitting on hill overlooking the lake. 
 
Then the last brought me a surprise...my Forest and little bro. Running selfie with my Forest.
 

Even though I had to walk part of the last section, it was awesome seeing them.  After so many lonely miles, them running with me for a bit made my whole day.
 
This would be the finally stretch where I didn't realize until later I was being chased by the little brother and cooper.  Now if I would have known that they wouldn't have minded I would have let Cooper cross the finish with me.
 
And then there was going thru the finishers area.  This is one of the first times when I finished where I remember hearing my name. As you crossed the finish line you got your finish line picture taken.
 
After the actual finish line, you basically lose control of yourself and these amazingly great volunteers take over.  First one puts a medal on you, then a doc does a quick check, then onto where someone wraps you in the mylar blanket, and finally someone gives you food/water and you are left eat and wander to your family.
 
Here is a picture of the finishers area. 
There were no spectators allowed here, so the runners had room to stretch out and decompress a little bit. And grab some Noodles and Company.
Noodles and company for a post race food for the win. And let's not forget about a little goober time, and of course the Cooper wearing the medal.  That boy loves the bling so much I may just be able to make him into a runner too.


 
And here it is for the win...conquered the 26.2
 
 
And now what? I said this would be it, no more, not another one before and during the race.  Once I crossed the finish line and as I sit her with aching muscles, I know that is no longer true. 
 
Cheers to 26.2
 

No comments:

Post a Comment