Tuesday, September 8, 2015

What I Read - Let's tidy things up shall we


 
While I do enjoy reading, finding time to fit it in to my schedule can be rather difficult.  I heard so many refer to this book, I had to put it on my read list.   I was rather surprised at how quick of a read it was.  Guess this could be defined as a self-help type of book, you know the I have a lot of shit what am I going to do with it advice.
 
Here are some of the takeaways that I got from this book or feel I could truly use in my everyday:
 
1. Take each item in one's hand and ask "Does this spark joy?" If it does, keep it. If not, dispose of it.  (41)
 
2. To Truly Cherish the things that are important to you, you must first discard those that have outlived their purpose. (61)
 
3. Something difficult to discard ask why did you have this in the first place. Reassess the role it played in your life. Thank you for giving me joy when I bought you or thank you for teaching me what doesn't suit me.  (60)
 
4. Arrange clothes so that they rise to the right (79)  By category, coats would be on the far left, followed by dresses, jackets, pants, skirts, and blouses
 
 
5. Komono or misc. items - proper order.  1 CD DVD 2 Skin Care products 3. Makeup  4. accessories (106)
 
6. At the core, the things we really like do not change over time. Putting your house in order is a great way to discover what they are (175)
 
 The author suggests the very first thing you go thru is your clothes.  I am honestly attempting this now.  The clothes either gets a yes, maybe or heck no.  Now if it is a maybe, then I wear it for a day and make sure it "sparks joy" before it lands in the thanks for being here, time to give someone else joy pile.  I thought this book gave a different perspective on the items that we accumulate over our lives and their role within our life. 
 
If you are looking for a pretty quick read with a slightly different perspective on getting your shit cleaned up, then you will surely enjoy.
 
 
 
 

Life According to Steph

4 comments:

  1. I am sort of interested in reading this, but also think the way I evaluate what I own now pretty much works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've been using this system to declutter/organize for years...damn i should have written that book LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep meaning to read this! My sister did and went through her closet and is now working on the rest of her house. She really likes it. Funny thing, I already organize my closet in that order. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this on my TBR and have been waiting forever for a copy from the library. I'm pretty okay with how I evaluate my things but you never know what you might learn.

    ReplyDelete