Thursday, June 13, 2013

Hometown Lovin'

 
Love where you live link up.  
 
Horicon, WI
 
 
A small town at its best. Approximately 3,655 fine people there. That is where this girl was born and raised. Yeppers, I fit the small town girl mold to a "T". From being in the little parades, to cheerleading, working at the local restaurant, and the yearning to get the heck out of that little town too. Here are some snippets from life back in the day: 
Realizing I was born in wintry Wisconsin

Why yes that is an amazing Strawberry Shortcake Bike
 Rocking the big hair...GO HORICON
The really mom you have to take a picture now in my work outfit look.

Hartford, WI
Once out of school for a brief period I lived in Hartford, WI. Now this city was huge compared to the small town living I was used.  The bigger city had 14,400 people approximately. They had taxi service and ice cream trucks.  The little town I lived in didn't have an ice cream truck.  The first time I heard the ice cream truck I freaked out. Like what was that.  I was amazed at age 21.  Did I have some wonderful memories with my son here.
ice cream truck photo: ice cream truck Ice_Cream_Truck_by_omfgvoiceboxxx.jpg
 
If you ever happen that way stop at Mineshaft
 
hartford, wi photo: Best grub in Hartford, WI IMG_0029.jpg
 
and Mickey's Frozen Custard


Waukesha, WI
 
Next stop on our adventure was Waukesha, WI.  Population 70,718 approximately. Wow the cities just kept getting bigger. We spent about 10 years in this wonderful city. Oh there was so many things I loved about it. Beautiful park system, gelato shop, Mama Mia's (garlic bread, best on the planet), Jimmy's Grotto, Casa Del Rio (sadly this placed closed), the pottery studio, and a great downtown that made you feel like you were in a small town.



Pictures from the parks


Gelato

A few of my pottery pieces
 On the bridge going to downtown.  Beautiful River walk.
 
 
Horicon, WI
 
 
After awhile though it was time to return to my roots and settle back in the small town of Horicon.  This is now once again where I lay my head. My son attends the same high school I did. The community is amazing and we are close to our family. As much as I miss the big city life sometimes, the small town charm makes it all worth it.
 

Now some social studies type facts about the glorious town we call home.
The city of Horicon is located at the southernmost tip of the Horicon Marsh. The marsh is 32,000 acres  most of it open water and cattail marsh. Tourist flock every year to see the migration of the Canadian Geese.  Now these geese in my opinion are one of the meanest birds ever. I watched them jump into a person's car after that person ran out of bread. Of course, feeding them probably wasn't a great idea. Back on track.  See the wonderment for yourself below...




 Yeah, we had a happy liver that day.
 
Horicon is also home to John Deere Horicon Works.  Click away, youtube video, and it shows more of the city we call home. And one cannot forget The Ice Cream Station, our local ice cream shop.

 
We are very fortunate in our community to have this wonderful group called Horicon Phoenix Group. I cannot say enough good things about what they are trying to do for and bring to our community. From the Wednesday farmers market complete with bands, Jersey Street Music Fest (new this year), Labor Day celebration, and raising money to pay for items to enhance our little slice of the world. Check out their awesomeness here:  http://www.horiconphoenix.com/index.html
 
 
And that concludes the journey thru the amazing places of my life. This small town girl is heading to the hammock.  Thanks for stopping
 
 
 photo 80d1f590-b4d5-41b1-ac17-a3176860d455_zpsf1617518.jpg

6 comments:

  1. Great pics! Especially love your pics growing up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is definite charm to a small town. I've never lived in a small town but worked in one, once. It definitely was an experience! Beef 'n Bean Day was the summer highlight in that town ;) (It was very agricultural).

      Just wanted to stop by and say hi - you're my Influence Network linkup neighbor :)

      Happy weekend!
      J

      Delete
    2. Beef N Bean Day...yummie. Hope your weekend was wonderous.

      Delete
  2. We're practically neighbors! I'm in Minnesota, so I can definitely understand what you go through during your long winter months. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minnesota. That definetly counts as neighbors. I figure we either have to learn to embrace the Winter and love her for all she is or move :) Enjoy your summer

      Delete