Thursday, May 2, 2013

Just half crazy


This whole journey to doing the infamous half marathon is long, tedious and requires a lot of support from those around you. Thankfully I have the greatest peeps on the plantet. My first time was in October 2011 in Middleton, WI at the Haunted Hustle. One though was just not enough, of course. Let's just say that this would be one of the reasons why my husband calls me a tiny little crazy person. After my best intention to try to squeeze one in around getting married in 2012, it just did not happen. Girl has to have some priorities in life.

With my sight set on spring 2013, bring on the Oshkosh Half Marathon. Started training with the same old plan back in January. Note January. January in Wisconsin equals cold, artic, snowy and icy. If you are thinking, brave the weather, don’t be a whimp, here is an idea of what winter in Wisconsin is:

 
Be safe stay indoors. Don’t need any injuries. That cute little bihnd you work for really no need to freeze that thing off.  Needless to say that this meant numerous hours spent on treadmill. Which in turn lead me to watching a few movies and some different tv shows to make the time pass a little faster. Wish I had some stellar reviews of things I watched to put in, but nothing that was “wow I need to tell someone” great. To my dismay, Winter never seemed to end. When I say never people...it was like April and still snowing in this state.  Serious. My extent of training on actual ground was one mile with the husband on a Sunday.

The joys of training for my half also means a fresh pair of shoes aka freshies, in my house, during the last few weeks of training.  New freshies are a glorious, glorious feeling for my little feet. This was the day I ran for Boston.   


Race Day. The huge moment where weeks of training finally pay off. What race day means: getting up at the crack of dawn to make sure I eat a good breakfast, drive an hour to get there, then register, and wait as patiently as possible for the start.  Calming my butterflies before every one of my starts, no matter the length of race, is still a challenge I have yet to conquer.

 The day was cool. Temperatures in the low 40’s with a breeze and overcast. Almost perfect weather except for the wind. There was wonderful ceremony before the start to honor Boston.  And then the race starts. It was a beautiful run.  We ran along a river for a large portion of the course. Then thru some of the beautiful parks in the city. Think I saw the whole city of Oshkosh this day. The wonderful support and encouragement from the people who lived in the neighborhoods is always a treat. The kids that come out so excited to give all the runners a high five always amazes me.  It makes you remember that someone who doesn’t even know you thinks you are awesome. And maybe this day/race will encourage them to strive for it in the future.  An interesting sight for me at this race occurred at about mile 6.5.  As you round the corner there are people in little animal costumes handing out fruit.  In all the races, I have never seen that before.  Wish I would have had a camera at this point to share the awesome creepy silliness. Slightly creepy enough to make you want to run just a little quicked.  Thank you for the extra motivation to get moving.

Now I have to say I wish the second half of the race was as well as the first. As I mentioned prior the majority of my race training was on a treadmill.  Miles 6-11 were tolerable. Just tired and slowing down.  Still on task.  Mile 11 brought to me the worst calve cramps I have ever had in my life.  Never in my years of running have I experienced this.  The last few miles were a mixture of running and walking, trying to encourage myself to get it done as my goal slowly slipped away from my reach.  As I approached the bridge at mile 13, which I mentioned earlier in the day was going to suck,  really, really sucked. At the peak of the bridge, my head clicked and I just ran to the finish.  There is nothing like hearing the crowds cheer as you cross the finish line. 

The finish. Even though I missed my goal time by 1 min 34 second, 13.1 is an accomplishment in itself.  My time was better than my last. The chocolate milk was delightful.  The massage did wonders for the aching calves. The people and other runners at these events are amazing people supporting their family/friends. And of course, a race can never happen without the volunteers who man the aid stations to help keep us runners hydrated & motivated, the police who stop the traffic to ensure our well being, and the drivers patience as we run thru.  Huge thank you to all those people.

Oh yeah I wear that medal with pride for the whole day.

Greatest moment ever. Out of all the races that I have done, this was by far the best.  It takes an amazing support system throughout.  My husband and son have been there thru numerous races.  My son running some of them with me. Love them to death for their support and patience.  Today though my mom, dad, brother and nephews came to support me and cheer me on.  Seeing my family as I was running to the finish was definitely one of the greatest moments of in my life.  My family is awesome. I am truly a lucky girl to have them.

No comments:

Post a Comment