Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Ghosts of Weekends Past - Our little Fall fest

 
This weekend past found us having a little mini fall fest.  The whole idea of this came out of the fact that we would not have the steppie Labor day weekend and needed to have our annual cooking contest.  I can happily say that I am so glad we came up with this little plan aka we are doing this again in the future.
 
Friday night found me tying up some loose ends and getting on the road to head up north. Sadly the hubbie had to sit the weekend out due to a horrible cold. I was so grateful my parents made it to the land before me and moved the trailer.  Basically Friday night consisted of the Steppie and I driving there, settling in, and trying to sleep.  Notice here the trying to sleep.  We discovered Friday evening that the furnace fan, after the furnace has been running for a period of time, makes a god awful noise.  The noise of course stops after a minute or two, but when that heater kicks back in later it starts all over again.  It will be going into the dealer for this little problem.
 
After a long night, we had breakfast Saturday morning and headed into town with my parents.  There was a stop at the hardware store to purchase an electric heater for the next night.  I would be damned if I was going to not sleep again.  In the afternoon we were joined by the other teenagers, Forest and Miss K.
 
I then took the teenagers on a little trip to Rabbit Rock for some exploring/climbing. 

 
Now one of the things about Rabbit Rock is that it is basically a big clump of sand.  This makes it super easy for carving.
 
Of course you have to put your initial in.  Then there was Forest trying to do it the hard way again...

 
Many moons ago when I went there, there was a very old mountain dew can on a carved in shelf.  Now this can was there for the longest time...you could tell the can opened via a pull back tab.  Somehow, sadly, last year that can went missing.  It had been sitting there for such a long period you could see the deterioration occurring around the can.  Low and behold this year I happened to see another mountain dew can laying on the trail (not cool people, clean up your liter), so I placed the up dated Mountain Dew can version on the shelf.  Hopefully it shall remain for many years to come and someone will be like "damn that's old". 
 
 

While we were on the bottom area, I took the chance to play the ISO on my camera since I was thinking of upgrading my camera (more on this another day).   Reading and learning a little more about ISO made a huge difference in the pictures I took.  This picture was taken on the auto setting of the camera.


Now the next picture I went into the menu and adjusted the ISO (sorry don't recall to what).
 


It made such a huge difference.  I am anxious to work with this more.  Then it was time to get into the real climbs.
 
The steppie was going to conquer the highest point.

 
And Miss K the second highest point.


Both of them made it....and I can only imagine the view from the highest point.

Seeing the picture of the steppie above sitting on the top rock...I now understand how it got the name "rabbit rock".  It looks like a bunny sitting.
 


All three of the teenagers sitting on the second highest point.
 

The Forest and I watching Miss K attempt the highest point



Of course she made it.  Then it was back to camp for a little pumpkin painting fun. 
 


 
Dinner for our little fall fest was chili with all the fixings, of course.
 

 
Dessert came courtesy of our little food contest, which this year was cookies.  I was super impressed that we had such a great variety.

 
Now onto the winners.  This years winner for the first time was....

 
Forest
 
Next up the pumpkin contest winner.....

 
Gillian
 
Now all of the pumpkins.  As you will be able to tell the teens had a little super hero theme going on.

 
Grandma's was the dots and mine which looks like a jack o lantern was really my form of spiderman.
 
Our evening ended with a little outdoor movie.  The projector and speakers were definitely a great idea.

 
Saturday night we slept peacefully with the new heater.
 
Sunday, we ran for some donuts before we had to get to work.  Sunday was a pure work day.  We had to finish getting my trailer ready for winter.  Aside from finishing up the last of the winterizing the water lines, we did a major cleaning to ensure that there would be nothing to attract any unwelcome critters.  Then we moved it over to it's place for the winter.
 
I came home Sunday to our dryer deciding that its lifetime was up, so needless to say part of Sunday evening was spent at the laundry mat.  Just so you know Sunday evenings at the laundry mat are very busy. 
 
That was our wonderful little weekend celebrating everything that is fall....and my new dryer will be arriving on Friday....really that laundry mat was scary.
 
 


1 comment:

  1. It was truly adorable event!! All those photographs are amazing. Thanks for sharing here. Well, I have also been thinking to organize such fun halloween holiday party. I would love to book my favorite outdoor Chicago event space for this holiday bash!

    ReplyDelete